Laval, Town of Art and History
Founded in the 11th century on the right bank of the River Mayenne, the town of Laval has preserved many testimonies from its rich history. Today, this fabulous heritage is presented by Ministry of Culture approved tour guides.
Programme for the day
- 10.00 a.m.: Discover the old Castle (in two groups). It is one of Laval’s emblematic landmarks (overall guided and commented tour).
- Worth noting: the 13th-century keep is remarkable.
- 11.00 a.m.: Visit of the Musée d’Art Naïf (Museum of Naive Art). Discover the collection of some of the works by Douanier Rousseau and Séraphine de Senlis, which is unique in Europe (guided and commented tour).
- Worth noting: Henri Rousseau or “Le Douanier” was born in Laval in 1844.
- 12.30 p.m.: Lunch in one of the town’s establishments (Menu: please contact us).
- 3.00 p.m.: Tour resumes with a visit of the Notre-Dame des Cordeliers church. Built at the end of the 14th century, this building confirms the rise of lavallois altarpiece makers in the 17th century.
- Worth noting: this collection of baroque altar pieces is unique in the west of France.
- 4.30 p.m.: Exploration of the Jardin botanique de la Perrine (Perrine Botanical Garden). In 1885, the owner lost the entire estate through gambling and it was bought by the town that set up a Musée des Beaux-Arts (Fine Arts Museum) and a botanical garden.
- Worth noting: the giant sequoia and the Ginkgo Biloba.
- 5.00 p.m.: Free visit of the Alain Gerbault Space, which is dedicated to the life and works of the famous navigator, who was a Laval native (1st solo trip around the world from 1923 to 1929).
- 6.00 p.m.: End of the excursion.
- €35/pers. – based on 50 people or more
- €36/pers. – Based on 40 to 49 people
- €38.50/pers. – Based on 30 to 39 people
- €43/pers. – Based on 20 to 29 people
5% off these tariffs for tourist industry professionals
Included in the price: entrance to the sites, lunch (drinks listed in the programme), the services of a tour guide.
Not included in the price: transport and personal expenses.
Information & bookings
Tel: +33 (0)18.104.22.168.18