





The church at Argentré is thought to have been founded at the end of the 4th century by Saint-Thuribe and Saint-Pavace.
Église Saint-Cyr - Sainte-Julitte
The church is thought to have been founded at the end of the 4th century by Saint-Thuribe and Saint-Pavace.
Inside the church, according to a letter from Gervais, grandson of Rorans, archbishop of Reims: "At the end of the 9th century, around 860, a fire broke out in the town of Rorans, dowager of Argentré. The fire threatened the nearby church. Rorans raised its relics of Saint-Melaine, former bishop of Rennes, to protect them from the fire. The fire immediately ceased its ravages (...)".
The transept, choir and tower on the south façade were built in the 12th century. Around 1460, the vault, nave and roof structure were restored, and the aisles and side arches of the choir were added.
In 1901, the Romanesque façade was replaced by the current façade, the bell tower was rebuilt as it was in danger of collapsing, and the aisles were raised.
The vault above the high altar features geometric motifs that were probably intended to cover the entire choir. These two-tone geometric motifs (ochre and yellow), in the 12th century tradition, were restored around 1960.
The church furniture :
- Plaster cast (late 19th century) of Father Ducoudray, who lived at Château de Grenusse in his youth.
- Epitaph of Louis de Fontenay, who took possession of the parish in 1655 and died in 1693. The epitaph is serious and rhymed, but the ending is surprising, even buffoonish: "Il est mort c'est dommage" ("He's dead, it's a shame").
- Epitaph of René du Bellay, lord of Château de Hauterive, who died in 1621. He was governor and lieutenant of the King of Touraine.
- Altarpiece of Saint Cyr and Saint Julitte, in the choir, in grey and black marble from the Argentré quarries, dating from the 17th or 18th century. Installation of a canvas painted by Adeline Neveux in 1950 depicting the martyrs of Saint-Cyr and Saint-Julitte: Saint-Cyr of Tarsus, with his mother Julitte, martyred in 304 when he was just 3 years old.
- Set of six grey and black Argentré marble altarpieces, including the one in the right arm of the transept, the altarpiece of Saint Michel (gilded medallion: 1759). The central body is occupied by a 17th century sculpted tabernacle, a sort of small triptych altarpiece with Baroque decoration: masks, foliage and candelabras. The upper niche houses a statue of the archangel Saint Michael. On the sides, 18th century plaster statues of Saint Stephen (first martyr, stoned) and Saint Sebastian (arrow).
In the nave, an altarpiece of the Virgin Mary with pink marble columns of Saint Berthevin, Saint Thérèse and Saint Anne; in the transept, those of Saint Michel and Saint Thuribe.
- The preaching pulpit (1742): a representation of the dove of the Holy Spirit in the wooden lampshade carved in the shape of a ducal crown. Four bas-relief panels represent St George slaying the dragon (triumph over paganism), the Good Shepherd, Charity represented by a mother with her child or a woman feeding the poor, and the eagle of St John the Evangelist.
It was restored in 1960 and recently relocated.
- Baptistery in Argentré white-veined grey marble, 18th century
- Next to a fresco of N-D de Pontmain, an engraved inscription from 1460, probably referring to the restoration of the wooden vault.
- Stained glass windows by Abbé Bernard Chardon, parish priest of Le Ribay
The church is thought to have been founded at the end of the 4th century by Saint-Thuribe and Saint-Pavace.
Inside the church, according to a letter from Gervais, grandson of Rorans, archbishop of Reims: "At the end of the 9th century, around 860, a fire broke out in the town of Rorans, dowager of Argentré. The fire threatened the nearby church. Rorans raised its relics of Saint-Melaine, former bishop of Rennes, to protect them from the fire. The fire immediately ceased its ravages (...)".
The transept, choir and tower on the south façade were built in the 12th century. Around 1460, the vault, nave and roof structure were restored, and the aisles and side arches of the choir were added.
In 1901, the Romanesque façade was replaced by the current façade, the bell tower was rebuilt as it was in danger of collapsing, and the aisles were raised.
The vault above the high altar features geometric motifs that were probably intended to cover the entire choir. These two-tone geometric motifs (ochre and yellow), in the 12th century tradition, were restored around 1960.
The church furniture :
- Plaster cast (late 19th century) of Father Ducoudray, who lived at Château de Grenusse in his youth.
- Epitaph of Louis de Fontenay, who took possession of the parish in 1655 and died in 1693. The epitaph is serious and rhymed, but the ending is surprising, even buffoonish: "Il est mort c'est dommage" ("He's dead, it's a shame").
- Epitaph of René du Bellay, lord of Château de Hauterive, who died in 1621. He was governor and lieutenant of the King of Touraine.
- Altarpiece of Saint Cyr and Saint Julitte, in the choir, in grey and black marble from the Argentré quarries, dating from the 17th or 18th century. Installation of a canvas painted by Adeline Neveux in 1950 depicting the martyrs of Saint-Cyr and Saint-Julitte: Saint-Cyr of Tarsus, with his mother Julitte, martyred in 304 when he was just 3 years old.
- Set of six grey and black Argentré marble altarpieces, including the one in the right arm of the transept, the altarpiece of Saint Michel (gilded medallion: 1759). The central body is occupied by a 17th century sculpted tabernacle, a sort of small triptych altarpiece with Baroque decoration: masks, foliage and candelabras. The upper niche houses a statue of the archangel Saint Michael. On the sides, 18th century plaster statues of Saint Stephen (first martyr, stoned) and Saint Sebastian (arrow).
In the nave, an altarpiece of the Virgin Mary with pink marble columns of Saint Berthevin, Saint Thérèse and Saint Anne; in the transept, those of Saint Michel and Saint Thuribe.
- The preaching pulpit (1742): a representation of the dove of the Holy Spirit in the wooden lampshade carved in the shape of a ducal crown. Four bas-relief panels represent St George slaying the dragon (triumph over paganism), the Good Shepherd, Charity represented by a mother with her child or a woman feeding the poor, and the eagle of St John the Evangelist.
It was restored in 1960 and recently relocated.
- Baptistery in Argentré white-veined grey marble, 18th century
- Next to a fresco of N-D de Pontmain, an engraved inscription from 1460, probably referring to the restoration of the wooden vault.
- Stained glass windows by Abbé Bernard Chardon, parish priest of Le Ribay
Openings
Openings
All year 2025